The Top 5 Questions about Liposuction
- Posted on: Dec 29 2013
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that removes stubborn areas of body fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. It can be performed on various areas of the body, including the waist, abdomen, thighs, and the buttocks.
Despite the popularity of this procedure, there are still many questions among patients about it. Let’s take a closer look at some of these questions.
Top 5 Questions about Liposuction:
- How much weight will I lose following liposuction? One misconception about liposuction is that it is a weight-loss procedure. Liposuction helps a patient achieve a slimmer, more contoured body by removing specific areas of unwanted fat. Having the procedure can make it easier for a patient to lose weight in the future.
- How does the liposuction procedure work? The procedure begins with an injection of a solution that is composed of saline, and the anesthetic lidocaine, into the area targeted for liposuction. There are two methods of liposuction: suction-assisted lipectomy (SAL) or ultrasonic-assisted lipectomy (UAL). With both methods, a small incision is made as discreetly as possible. Liposuction surgery usually lasts one to five hours, and is performed under either local or general anesthesia.
- Am I a candidate for liposuction? Candidates for liposuction are generally healthy people, but want to reduce the appearance of unwanted love handles, or belly fat. Liposuction is not considered ideal for morbidly obese patients- gastric bypass surgery may be a better idea for obese patients.
- Are there risks associated with liposuction? Like with any surgery, there are some risks associated with liposuction. Some of the most common risks include infection, blood clots, and delays in healing. Fortunately, when liposuction is performed by a qualified surgeon, there is less chance for risk.
- What will the recovery period be like following liposuction? Following liposuction, patients usually need to wear compression garments and take antibiotics. Patients may be able to return to work after a few days, although strenuous activity should be avoided for at least a month.
Liposuction in Calgary
If you are interested in having liposuction, or want to learn more about any of the other procedures we offer, contact us today. We can be reached at (403)-245-1228. We look forward to hearing from you!
Posted in: Uncategorized