Can Older People Take Advantage of Cosmetic Surgery?
According to a study by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (Consumer Attitude Surgery 2010), 77% of people over the age of 65 years are open to undergoing plastic surgery. Cosmetic surgery is not just for young people. Older men and women can also benefit from cosmetic surgery. More and more people over the age of 55 are going under the knife to look younger or improve their looks.
A study by the Vanderbilt University Medical Center says that senior citizens are not more at risk from plastic surgery than younger people. The most common types of cosmetic surgery done by senior citizens are face lifts, eyelid surgery, liposuction, breast reductions. Forehead lifts, breast augmentation and breast lifts are also popular, though not as much as the former. Here’s more about each of these procedures.
Most Common Cosmetic Procedures for Senior Citizens
- Face lifts: Rhytidectomy or facelifts are performed to give the face a more youthful look. During this process, excess skin is removed and the skin given a more taut look.
- Eyelid surgery: Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery is used to correct deformities, defects and disfiguration in the eyelid. With age, the eye lids can begin to droop and this can be corrected by cosmetic surgery.
- Liposuction: Liposuction is done to remove excess fat from areas like the sides, upper abdomen, back, thighs, neck, buttocks and other areas.
- Breast reduction: Breast reduction or reduction mammaplasty removes excess skin and tissues from the breast, reducing and reshaping the breasts in the process.
- Forehead lift: Browplasty or forehead lift is performed to correct sagging eyebrows.
- Breast augmentation: Breast augmentation or augmentation mammoplasty is performed to increase the size of the breast, either through breast implants or fat transplants.
All these procedures can help senior citizens improve their confidence and self image. But before you undergo any of these procedures, please speak to your doctor carefully about the associated risks.
Interested in Learning More About Cosmetic Surgery for Seniors? Contact Dr. Ryan Frank.
For more information about hair cosmetic surgery for older patients, contact Dr. Ryan C. Frank. We are located in Calgary, Alberta. We can be directly reached at (403) 245-1228. We look forward to hearing from you soon.