10 Plastic Surgery Myths, Busted!
- Posted on: Jan 1 2015
Top 10 Plastic Surgery Myths
- Plastic Surgery is Only for the Wealthy. This myth no longer holds true. With numerous advancements to technology, many plastic surgery procedures are considerably less invasive, which lowers costs. In fact, popular procedures like BOTOX® Cosmetic injections and laser hair removal have decreased in cost since 1997, according to The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.
- Plastic Surgery is Only for Vain and Materialistic People. This is entirely false, many patients report having realistic expectations and surgical goals. Most patients also report feeling healthier and happier after undergoing plastic surgery.
- Plastic Surgery Results in Excessive Scarring. This myth is entirely false, skilled plastic surgeons deliberately hide scars in natural contours to reduce visibility and make sure that patients look their best after their procedures.
- Liposuction is a Weight Loss Procedure. This is false, although liposuction removes stubborn fat, it is not a weight loss procedure. Those who undergo liposuction should not expect to necessarily lose weight, but rather improve upon the contours of their body.
- Cosmetic Surgery is the Same Thing as Plastic Surgery. This false statement is a slightly confusing, because although plastic surgery goals may be cosmetic, a plastic surgeon and a surgeon referring to his or herself as a “cosmetic” surgeon are not equally certified. Plastic surgeons are board certified and have undergone a five-year surgical residency with a minimal of two years dedicated directly to plastic surgery. Cosmetic surgeons are not board certified and can be any surgeon performing a procedure with cosmetic goals.
- BOTOX®, is botox, is botox. Yes, all injectable botolinum toxin brands contain the same active ingredient, however “botox,” is a popular brand name, BOTOX® Cosmetic.
- Breast Implants Can Kill You. This is an incredibly rare occurence, Breast augmentation is one of the most popularly performed plastic surgery in the world, and produces some of the most satisfying results. The FDA has approved numerous brands of breast implants that have gone under rigorous testing to ensure their safety or the masses.
- You Can’t Breast Feed if you Have Breast Implants. Studies have found that mothers with breast implants face the same challenges with breast feeding as mothers with natural breasts.
- Plastic Surgery is Dangerous. As all surgery poses some risk, many plastic surgeries have relatively low associated risk. Selecting a board certified and experienced surgeon can additionally lower risks of complications.
- Plastic Surgery is Only for Women. According to the ASAPS, since 1997, men undergoing plastic surgeries has increased 273 percent.
Interested in Plastic Surgery? Contact Dr. Frank.
For more information about plastic surgery in Calgary, contact us today. We can be reached at (403)-245-1228. We look forward to hearing from you.
Posted in: Plastic Surgery