The Top 5 Cosmetic Surgery Procedures In The World
- Posted on: Aug 29 2014
Approximately 23 million cosmetic procedures were performed throughout the world in 2013, and those numbers are expected to rise as plastic surgery surges in popularity, according to the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, which recently released statistics on surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures around the world.
Botulinum Toxin (usually known by its brand names, BOTOX and Dysport) took the top spot as the number one cosmetic procedure. Here are the top five plastic surgery procedures in the world:
- Breast Augmentation: Breast augmentation has long reigned supreme in the world of plastic surgery, so it’s no surprise that it took the top spot again in 2013, with 1,773,584 procedures performed. With so many options available including implant size, type, shape and minimal down time, it’s easy to see way so many women choose to enhance their appearance with this surgery.
- Liposuction: Liposuction has been around for decades, though the techniques and technology used have evolved over time. This procedure is easily tailored and is targeted to remove unwanted fat from several areas of the body, including arms, thighs, abdomen and even neck. In 2013, 1,614,031 patients underwent some form of liposuction to sculpt their bodies.
- Blepharoplasty: Also known as eyelid surgery, blepharoplasty rejuvenates the appearance of the eyes by removing extra skin and fat. Many people with sagging, tired-looking eyes tun to this procedure to give them a more youthful an alert look. Aside from its cosmetic application, blepharoplasty can also help patients whose vision is hindered by sagging or drooping skin. Last year, 1,379,263 men and women opted to undergo eye surgery to improve their appearance.
- Fat Grafting: Fat grafting, also referred to as lipostructure or lipofilling, is a technique that uses a person’s own fat to fill in areas of the face that have become sunken or hollow, such as the eyelids or cheeks. The fat is removed through a small liposuction procedure, and then transferred to the new area in small pieces, sometimes called “pearls”. There were 1,053,890 reported fat grafting patients throughout the world in 2013.
- Rhinoplasty: Rhinoplasty, also known as nose surgery, is another procedure that has remained in-demand over the past few decades. This surgery has both cosmetic and reconstructive purposes, as it can reshape or reduce the size of a patient’s nose or correct defects from birth or caused by trauma. There were 954,423 rhinoplasties performed in 2013.
Plastic Surgery in Calgary
Posted in: Plastic Surgery