Gynecomastia is the benign enlargement of breast tissue in males. While it does not pose serious threats to a man’s health, it may cause self-esteem issues and discomfort. Let’s take a closer look at some frequently-asked questions about gynecomastia.
- What causes gynecomastia? Gynecomastia is usually linked to changes or abnormalities in hormones. Sometimes, the male body experiences an imbalance in the production of the hormones testosterone and estrogen. Males normally produce estrogen in very small amounts. However, when males produce abnormally high levels of estrogen that are out of balance with levels of testosterone being produced by the body, breasts may form. Additionally, taking certain antibiotics, medications, or having serious health conditions can contribute to formation of enlarged male breasts. Aging also plays a part in the growth of male breasts.
- Can males of any age experience this problem? During puberty, many young men will experience the appearance of enlarged breasts. Usually, the end of puberty will also signal the disappearance of the male breasts. Enlarged breasts in males are most commonly seen in men between the ages of 50 and 80.
- What are the symptoms of gynecomastia? Some of the main symptoms associated with gynecomastia include swollen breast glands, swelling, and breast tenderness. Patients are urged to see a doctor if they experience persistent pain, tenderness, or discharge from the nipples of one or both breasts.
- How is gynecomastia treated? Medications may help some men manage the pain or symptoms of gynecomastia. For younger male patients who have the condition due to puberty, medication and periodic evaluations of the individual’s condition will be necessary. For men who find the condition extremely bothersome, breast reduction surgery may be the best option. Reduction surgery will remove fat and tissue from the breasts, as well as excess skin, giving patients a firmer, more flattering appearance.
- Is breast reduction surgery for me? If you feel stressed out or embarrassed by the appearance of enlarged breasts, reduction surgery may be right for you. Your doctor will work closely with you to determine what treatment is right for you!
Male Breast Reduction Surgery in Calgary
If you are interested in male breast reduction surgery, or would like to learn about any other procedures we offer, contact us today. We can be reached at (403) 245-1228. We look forward to hearing from you!